The City of Corner Brook has been monitoring information on an approaching, complex weather system. The system will include rain, at times heavy, and is expected to continue throughout the evening. Total rainfall amounts of 15 to 35 mm are expected before the rain tapers off Saturday morning. A brief period of freezing rain may precede the rain this evening.
The Public Works Department has organized a preparation plan for the rain and snow melting events expected this weekend. The City would like to inform residents that crews will be on stand-by to resolve any situations that may arise and extra support will be added if required.
Winter parking restrictions are still in effect. These restrictions are necessary in order to ensure flood control activities can be completed in a safe and effective manner. On-street parking delays our ability to operate safely. We ask the general public to stay a safe distance from City of Corner Brook heavy equipment and city vehicles. Motorists should be cautious while driving during snow melting and heavy rainfall; please slow down to minimize the potential to hydroplane. Motorists should also give themselves extra time to arrive to their destination, as unexpected street flooding might force traffic detours.
City of Corner Brook Preparation Actions:
– In preparation of the rain and snow melting event, the main roads and side roads have been widened.
– Crews have been dispatched to assess and clear priority catch basins to reduce flood risk.
– All priority headwalls are being checked and cleared. Snow will be removed from headwall access if needed.
– Public Works vehicles are being checked and supplied with flood control tools and sand bags.
– The sand supply is being evaluated for quick access and sand bags and calcium have been checked and replenished.
– If required, loaders and backhoes will be dispatched for ice removal.
– Sand has been placed at the Civic Centre lower parking lot for residential use.
– The number of people working will be adjusted and increased when necessary pending on the timelines and severity of this rain event.
– Managerial support will be added if required pending on the progression of the rain and snow melting.
The City does not anticipate any major issues but is being proactive to reduce and minimize impacts as a result of potential localized flooding. We encourage citizens to call our 24/7 customer service line at 709-637-1666, to report any signs of flooding or other hazards so that crews can be sent out to remedy the situation. Residents are encouraged to monitor on-street storm drains around their house and keep them clear of any blockage.
April 7th, 2017: For Immediate Release-rainfall warning in effect for Corner Brook and vicinity.