Effective immediately, the City of Corner Brook Mayor Jim Parsons has declared a state of emergency for the City on January 13, 2018 due to heavy rainfall and snow melting, infrastructure damage, and an overwhelmed municipal drainage system. We are dealing with a very sever rainfall and snow melting event.
- Activation of the City of Corner Brook emergency response plan is in place
- The City fire protection back up plan is in place
“We are dealing with a very severe rainfall event,” said Mayor Jim Parsons, “All available personnel are working to try and mitigate further damage. For the time being, we ask residents to stay off the streets in affected areas, if possible and stay safe.”
All available personnel are working on the issues to try and resolve as soon as possible.
We are asking residents to consider safety during this time, please:
- Stay off the roads and sidewalks
- Stay away from all Brooks and Streams as all of them are running fast and are a safety concern
- All riverbanks may be unstable, please avoid being near them
- Stay safely inside: ask family members and pets to stay away from rushing street water and main street bridge
- Contact 9-1-1 in an emergency
- Only contact the 24/7 Customer Service Line: 709-637-1666 to relay urgent information
Highway access into and out of the City is currently suspended due to infrastructure damage.
Effective immediately, the City of Corner Brook wishes to advise residents and businesses that emergency road closures are in effect or today, Saturday, January 13th, 2018 until further notice. The road closures are necessary due to flooding and road maintenance and to make repairs to the water distribution system.
- O’Connell Drive will be closed to through traffic from the intersection of Country Road to the intersection of Walbourne’s Road
- Philip Drive will be closed to through traffic from the intersection of Elizabeth Street to the intersection of Gushue Place
- Elizabeth Street will be closed to through traffic from the intersection of Beothuck Crescent to the intersection of Grenfell Drive
- Elizabeth Street will be closed to through traffic from the intersection of Union Street to the intersection of Charles Street
- Main Street Bridge is closed
- Woodbine Ave is closed
- Maple Valley Road is closed
- Porters Lane is closed
- Boones Road is closed
Residents can call the City of Corner Brook’s Water Information Line at 634-7711 or visit the City’s official website, www.cornerbrook.com, at any time to view current boil water advisories, water outages and road closures.
Official updates will be posted on our website.
Media Release CITY WATER BREAKS AND EMERGENCY ROAD CLOSURES
Information Officer | City of Corner Brook
709-637-1662 | firstname.lastname@example.org
January 13, 2018: For Immediate Release