The Council of the City of Corner Brook is committed to making this an excellent place to live, work, and raise a family. Council is always looking for new ways for our community to grow and prosper. The following is a list of initiatives and projects that the city has completed or is currently participating in:
Capital Works Program
As part of Council’s long-term commitment to capital improvements, the City participated in a progressive 3-year capital works program. This investment enabled the city to address several high priority concerns such as road reconstruction and repairs, building and facility renovations, and upgrades for recreational areas. Through this program, the city continued to grow with improved level of services for its residents while taking into consideration the city’s social, economic and environmental needs.
- Waste Water Strategic Plan
- Business Improvement Program (BIP)
- Downtown Urban Design Action Plan
- A Long Term Asset Management Plan
- Continuing to work with Federal & Provincial partners to improve our infrastructure
- Major Bertram Butler Trail Expansion
- Bikeway Extension
- Provide quality municipal services to the community
- Civic Centre upgrades of lighting, chairs, and a new ice cover
- Continue public consultation on issues that are important to residence
- Hosting the Tall Ship Festival and Canada 150 Celebrations (2017)
Annually, as part of the budget process the City of Corner Brook awards grants to community organizations.
These grants have been established to provide a viable and sustainable future in partnership with our community. Through the Grant Program we assist in the establishment of projects, services activities, and facilities in Corner Brook that respond to changing community needs. The grant program is intended to strengthen organizations and groups that support our community by providing financial assistance to enhance the quality of life for residents of Corner Brook.
The City of Corner Brook Community Grants Program demonstrates the City’s commitment to:
- A vibrant community
- Community and social development
- Excellent quality of life
- Enhanced community facilities, events, or activities
- Arts and culture projects
- Wellness projects that promote health and active living
- Heritage, science, or technology projects
Community Grant Recipients 2016 & 2017: City of Corner Brook Community Grants 2016 2017
Additional Grants for 2017: City of Corner Brook Community Grants 2017 March update
|Category||%of total grants|
|Arts & Community Programs Grants||20.0%|
|Community Organization Grants||4.81%|
|Community Service Grants||0.80%|
|Special Event Grants||4.41%|
**We provide additional funding for special events, scholarships; and the Greater Board of Trade Tourism Chalet (12.63%).
In addition to providing Community Grants the City of Corner Brook provides associated and maintenance costs for space provided to the Rotary Arts Centre, Bay of Islands Search & Rescue, and SPCA. We also provide a community room for groups to use at City Hall. These costs are estimated to be over $106,000 per year.