The City of Corner Brook wishes to advise residents and businesses of the termination of the State of Emergency order.
Date: January 14, 2018 1:00 pm
WHEREAS issues of heavy rainfall and snow melting, infrastructure damage, and an overwhelmed municipal drainage system have receded in Corner Brook;
AND WHEREAS this weather emergency no longer requires prompt coordination of action or special regulation to protect the health, safety or welfare of people or to limit damage to property;
IT IS HEREBY that a state of local emergency no longer exists in the City of Corner Brook and is therefore terminated effective this date at 1:00 p.m.
A Precautionary Advisory remains in effect:
We are asking residents to continue to consider safety during this time, please:
- stay away from Brooks and Streams as they may be running fast and a possible safety concern
- all riverbanks may be unstable, please avoid being near them
- contact 9-1-1 in an emergency
- contact the 24/7 Customer Service Line: 709-637-1666 to relay urgent information
Residents can visit the City’s official website, www.cornerbrook.com, at any time to view road closure notices, precautionary boil water advisories and water outages. The City of Corner Brook would like to thank you for your cooperation during this State of Emergency order.
EMERGENCY SERVICES ACT http://www.assembly.nl.ca/Legislation/sr/statutes/e09-1.htm
Information Officer | City of Corner Brook
709-637-1662 | firstname.lastname@example.org
January 14, 2018: For Immediate Release 1:22 p.m.
STATE OF EMERGENCY INFORMATION
Does a State of Emergency declaration direct citizens to take any particular action?
No. The declaration empowers the City of Corner Brook Emergency Management Operations (EMO) to act on emergency plans and to employ the resources and assets of province, local and agencies to provide immediate assistance to localities.
After issuing the declaration, EMO puts the emergency operations plan into effect. It may also activate the emergency operations center to full 24-hour staffing to coordinate and direct response and recovery operations. In addition, EMO may call on a number of private agencies such as the Canadian Red Cross, The Salvation Army, and Voluntary Organizations Active in the community network to fulfill certain missions.
Additional Emergency response
- The minister shall, as appropriate, organize and deploy emergency response in the province. 2016 c45 s4
Application of assistance agreement
- (1) Where a party to an assistance agreement requests assistance made necessary by the declaration of an emergency or for another reason permitted by the agreement, the province shall, in accordance with the agreement, provide or accept the requested assistance and in doing so may
(a) recognize, within the province, the professional qualifications of a person from outside the province without requiring that the person be certified or licensed under the laws of the province; and
(b) lend and borrow equipment and personnel for the purpose of the requested assistance.
(2) For the purpose of implementing a request which may be made under the assistance agreement, the province may
(a) plan emergency exercises with another party to the assistance agreement including personnel training, equipment and procedures testing and simulated emergency activities; and
(b) inventory and agree upon procedures for inter-jurisdictional loans and delivery of human and material resources and the manner of payment, if any, for those resources.
Does a State of Emergency mean you aren’t allowed to go anywhere or do anything until it is lifted?
The State of Emergency declaration does not normally restrict citizen movements or activities. Safety advisories may be in effect.
How long does a State of Emergency remain in effect?
(2) An emergency which has been declared by a municipality shall remain in force until it is rescinded by the municipality. 2008 cE-9.1 s6
The Mayor will rescind the state of emergency when it is no longer needed to provide necessary support or until the threat of impending danger from the event has passed.
Does a declaration of emergency bar the sale or provision of goods and services?
The State of Emergency declaration does not address restrictions on the sale or provision of goods or services or opening of businesses.