CORNER BROOK – Firefighters from the Corner Brook Fire Department will demonstrate to students at Grenfell Campus, Memorial University, how a residence room can go up in flames if fire safety guidelines are not followed.
On Monday, Sept. 3, 1:00-4:00 p.m., firefighters will conduct a fire demonstration with students in parking lot P2, at the rear of the campus. A mock residence room and chalet apartment will be set on fire in a controlled environment. This will demonstrate how quickly fire can spread in a home, why seconds count, and the importance of a fire sprinkler system and working smoke detector. The program will focus on exit drills, demonstrations on how a smoke detector and sprinkler works and discuss its importance.
Before the rooms are set ablaze, firefighters will review residential fire safety and dangers, and topics such as the number one cause of fires, why homes burn faster these days, kitchen grease fires and exit drills.
The fire start time is 1:30 p.m. followed by the burn demo. The “PASS” method of fire extinguishing (Pull, Aim, Squeeze, Sweep) will be demonstrated 2:15-2:30 p.m. And 2:30-3:30 p.m. students will learn about topics such as obstructions in the home that prevent effective sprinkler systems from working, structural firefighting, how to exit safely, when to contact 9-1-1 and more. Firefighters will be available to meet students following the demonstration 3:30-4:00 p.m.
In addition, members of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary will also be on hand to inform students of the dangers of driving while intoxicated with “drunk goggles,” a virtually simulated devise demonstrating the levels of intoxication.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Grenfell Campus, MUN
709-632-0936 ⁞ firstname.lastname@example.org
Information Officer ⁞ City of Corner Brook
709-637-1662 ⁞ email@example.com
Septmber 30, 2018