February 14, 2019– Around 5:30 p.m., this afternoon there was an ammonia leak in the Civic Centre. Everyone was safely evacuated and no injuries or illnesses were reported. There is no risk to the public or Civic Centre staff or the building.
Safety system alarms alerted staff to the issue, which allowed them to act quickly to ensure everyone’s safety. Staff followed emergency protocols in place as per their training to safely evacuate everyone from the arena.
“We want to thank Civic Centre users for their cooperation,” says Mayor Jim Parsons. “We also want to thank our Corner Brook Fire Department emergency hazmat team and Civic Centre staff for their excellent and prompt support.”
The Corner Brook Civic Center will be temporarily closed for the remainder of the evening. The City of Corner Brook apologizes for any inconvenience caused by this temporary closure.
Information Officer | City of Corner Brook
709-637-1662 | firstname.lastname@example.org