Not Every Hero Wears a Cape. Plan and Practice Your Escape.
Mayor Jim Parsons is urging families in Corner Brook to practice their home fire escape plan as part of Fire Prevention Week.
Fire Prevention Week runs from October 6-12, 2019. This year’s theme is Not Every Hero Wears a Cape. Plan and Practice Your Escape!
“In a fire, you may have only seconds to safely escape your home,” said Deputy Chief Craig Harnum. “Practice your home fire escape plan and make sure everyone can get out safely.”
While developing and practicing a home-escape plan, residents are reminded to:
Identify all possible exits (doors and windows) and make sure they work
- Draw a map of your home with all members of your household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
- Practice your home fire drill at least twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home.
Assess the needs of everyone in your home
- Identify anyone who requires assistance to get out of the home safely, such as small children or older adults and assign someone to help those who need assistance
Make sure that you have working smoke alarms on every story of the home and outside all sleeping areas
- Make sure everyone in the home knows the sound of the smoke alarm and all household members know what to do when the smoke alarm sounds
- Identify a safe meeting place outside
- Call 9-1-1 from outside the home
Practice your home fire escape plan
- Have everyone participate
- Make changes to your plan if necessary
The Corner Brook Fire Department is hosting a series of events during Fire Prevention Week including a fire demonstration, a slogan contest and escape plan contest, school drills, community pop-up visits, senior’s home visits, apartment building visits, library and daycare visits. Another event is the Open House 2:00 – 4:00 pm, October 12, at the fire station. Residents are encouraged to bring the whole family to meet the local fire department members and participate in activities and a barbecue.
For more information contact:
Todd Flynn, MA DEM
City of Corner Brook
Director, Protective Services