With gas-prices so low, Fire and Emergency Services in Corner Brook have been advised of members of the public stockpiling fuel and also using unapproved containers. As such the City of Corner Brook would like to remind residents of the following regulations:
Code requirements and safety precautions at the gas station
- Only put gasoline in a container that is specifically approved and sold for the purpose of gasoline storage. (NFCC – CSA B376-M and CSA B306-M)
- These approved portable containers must be placed on the ground to avoid a possible static electricity ignition of fuel vapors.
- Containers should never be filled while inside a vehicle or its trunk, the bed of a pickup truck or the floor of a trailer.
- containers can be filled up to 20 litres or less. Be sure to leave some room in the container to allow for some expansion.
- Gas stations are responsible for monitoring the distribution of fuel on their premises.
Code requirements and guidelines for safe storage
- Where possible, always store gasoline in a detached shed or garage in small quantities.
- Gasoline shall not be stored on exterior balconies. (NFCC)
- No more than 10L of gasoline shall be stored in each dwelling unit. (NFCC)
- No more than 30L of gasoline shall be stored in a garage or shed attached to a dwelling unit. (NFCC)
- No more than 30L of gasoline be stored in an unrated building, detached garage or shed, unless it is stored in an approved fire cabinet which also has quantity limits. (NFCC)
- Keep gasoline containers tightly sealed and handle them gently to avoid spills
- Store gasoline at room temperature, away from potential heat sources such as the sun, a space heater or a furnace
- Keep in mind gasoline vapors are heavier than air and can travel along the floor to ignition sources. Be sure to check with your local authorities for any additional regulations regarding fuel storage.
If you have any questions please contact the Fire Hall at 637-1611.
NFCC – National Fire Code of Canada
CSA B376-M – Portable Containers for Gasoline and Other Petroleum Fuels
CSA B306-M – Portable Fuel Tanks for Marine Use