What is the Partner for Climate Protection Program?
The Partners for Climate Protection (PCP) program is a network of Canadian municipal governments that have committed to reducing greenhouse gases and acting on climate change. PCP is a partnership between the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) and ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability. The City of Corner brook joined PCP in 2006.
The PCP program is based on a five-milestone framework:
- Completing of a greenhouse gas (GHG) and energy use inventory and forecast for the community and municipal operations
- Setting local GHG reduction targets
- Development of a Local Action Plan to meet established reduction targets
- Implementation of actions identified in an adopted Local Action Plan
- Monitoring and measurement of actions and results
The benefits to the municipality and the community are the reduction in energy expenditures, the reduction of air pollution, and overall improvements in the quality of life.
What has the City accomplished so far?
The City has completed Milestone 1 & 2 and is currently working on Milestone 3 – Developing a Local Action Plan.
To view Milestone 1 & 2 please click here