The primary role of the animal control division is to enforce the City of Corner Brook’s Animal regulations.  The animal control officer impounds roaming dogs, responds to animal inquiries and complaints, issues violation notices, and ensures the safety and well-being of animals in custody of the City.

Animal Control services are typically available during normal City Hall hours, but emergency services are available  24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling 709-637-1666.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does my dog need a license?

Licensing helps us to unite pets and owners.  It also helps in providing more rapid medical treatment in the case of an emergency. All dogs aged 3 months or older must be licensed.

  • The Dog License Fee is $25.00 for three years.
  • If Dog has microchip and number, the registration fee shall be reduced by $5.00.
  • If Dog Owner provides proof that dog has been spayed or neutered, fee shall be reduced by $10.00.fee
  • To license your dog, complete and submit Dog Registration  form and pay the  fee at City Hall.

Can you help me find my dog?

If you have lost your dog or have found a dog, you can contact the City’s Customer Service line at 709-637-1666.

My dog barks a lot. Can I get a fine for that?

Yes. Dogs that excessively bark, howl, or create sounds that represent a nuisance are in violation of the dog regulations and their owners will be fined $50.

Do I have to use a leash on my dog?

Residents should be aware that dogs are not permitted to be off the owner’s property without being on a leash.  If a dog is found roaming outside of the owner’s property, the dog will be impounded.  If a licensed dog is impounded, the city will attempt to contact the owner.

The dog owner will have to pay a fine and any daily impound fees.

  • The fine for a roaming dog is $50 for a licensed animal and $75 for an unlicensed animal.
  • The second time a dog is caught roaming within a twelve month period, the fine is an additional $25.
  • The third and any subsequent times a dog is caught in the same twelve month period, the fine is an additional $50.
  • If the dog is unlicensed, the owner will also be charged a $50 fine for failure to license the dog.

The fines and fees must be paid at City Hall before the dog is released to its owner. In addition, the owner will be charged any cost incurred by the City as a result of the animal being treated by a veterinarian.

Can I bring my unwanted dog to the City?

Animal control does not accept surrendered animals.  If you need to surrender your animal you may contact the Bay of Islands SPCA – NL West SPCA.

I have a cat roaming around my neighbourhood that’s causing trouble. What can I do?

Due to their natural characteristics and nocturnal habits, it is difficult for Animal Control staff to capture cats when they are roaming.  Therefore residents can borrow cages from the City in order to catch cats, which are causing damage to, or depositing waste on the resident’s property.  Once the cat has been caught, the resident must inform the Animal Control Officer, so the Officer can impound the cat.

Cat cages are normally provided between June 1st and October 31st.  To request a cat cage, you will need to discuss with the Animal Control officer who will investigate the situation.  The Officer will then have you complete the cat cage form.

Residents shall treat the cat in a humane manner once caught.  If it is determined by the Animal Control Officer that a resident has treated a captured animal inhumanely, the local SPCA will be notified and the resident shall not be issued any further cat cages.

Comments are closed.

Close Search Window