Adopt-a-Hydrant Program and Contest for Winter 2023
The ADOPT-A-HYDRANT program encourages residents of the City of Corner Brook to help keep fire hydrants in the city clear of snow during the winter months.
Currently, the City of Corner Brook owns, operates and maintains 748 fire hydrants. After a major snowstorm it can take several days to clear hydrants so again this year the City is encouraging everyone to adopt a hydrant and help keep them clear.
During the winter fire hydrants can get buried under snow and are not immediately accessible during an emergency. In an emergency, firefighters have to locate and shovel out uncleared hydrants before hooking up; losing valuable time to control fires and save lives. But you can help!
The Contest begins on the week of December 15, 2022 and ends on March 31, 2023 at 4:30 p.m.
ELIGIBILITY & REQUIREMENTS
The program is open to all residents, businesses, families and community organizations in Corner Brook that want to ensure the safety of their neighbourhoods by volunteering to clear hydrants in order to help firefighters quickly find and use hydrants in an emergency.
WHAT IS REQUIRED?
- Adopt a hydrant by:
- Clear a 3 foot area around your adopted hydrant after each snowfall, or when it is heavily covered in snow and clear a path to the street from the hydrant.
- After clearing snow around your adopted hydrant,
- Please click located on the top left corner on the map.
- Choose Report Cleared from the drop down menu.
- Enter the hydrant number in the search bar found below the map or zoom in on the map and click on the smiley face that corresponds to the hydrant you have adopted.
- You may also call 637-1666 to report it cleared.
- Please Note: When you are reporting your hydrant cleared, you must enter your name that you provided when the Hydrant was Adopted. You cannot proceed if the name isn’t exactly the same as entered in the adoption process. The name entered is case sensitive. You can refer back to the confirmation email sent when you initially signed up for your hydrant.
PRIZES: WHAT CAN YOU WIN BY PARTICIPATING?
The clearing of the hydrants will be monitored and randomly inspected by the Fire Department and City Hydrant Clearing staff. Prizes will be given out on a weekly basis for inspected and cleared hydrants.
By entering the Contest, each entrant agrees to abide by the Contest Rules.