Animal Control

The primary role of the animal control division is to enforce the City of Corner Brook’s Animal regulations.  The animal control officer impounds roaming dogs, responds to animal inquiries and complaints, issues violation notices, and ensures the safety and well-being of animals in custody of the City.

Animal control does not accept surrendered animals.  If you need to surrender your animal you may contact the Bay of Islands SPCA – NL West SPCA.

Contacts & Location

The animal control officer works Monday to Friday.  The city pound is located behind 40 Brook Street. Visitation is by appointment only please call 637-1559.

Cory White, Municipal Enforcement Officer/Animal Control 

Call the City’s Customer Service Line for service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: 709-637-1666.


Licensing helps to unite pets and owners.  It also helps in providing more rapid medical treatment in the case of an emergency.

All dogs aged 3 months or older must be licensed.


  • The Dog License Fee is $25.00 for three years.
  • If Dog has microchip and number, the registration fee shall be reduced by $5.00.
  • If Dog Owner provides proof that dog has been spayed or neutered, fee shall be reduced by $10.00.fee
  • To license your dog, complete and submit Dog Registration  form and pay the  fee at City Hall.

Lost Dog

If you have lost your dog or have found a dog, you can contact the City’s Customer Service line at 709-637-1666.


Dogs that excessively bark, howl, or create sounds that represent a nuisance are in violation of the dog regulations and their owners will be fined $50.

Roaming Dogs

Residents should be aware that dogs are not permitted to be off the owner’s property without being on a leash.  If a dog is found roaming outside of the owner’s property, the dog will be impounded.  If a licensed dog is impounded, the city will attempt to contact the owner.

The dog owner will have to pay a fine and any daily impound fees.

  • The fine for a roaming dog is $50 for a licensed animal and $75 for an unlicensed animal.
  • The second time a dog is caught roaming within a twelve month period, the fine is an additional $25.
  • The third and any subsequent times a dog is caught in the same twelve month period, the fine is an additional $50.
  • If the dog is unlicensed, the owner will also be charged a $50 fine for failure to license the dog.

The fines and fees must be paid at City Hall before the dog is released to its owner. In addition, the owner will be charged any cost incurred by the City as a result of the animal being treated by a veterinarian.

Roaming Cats

Due to their natural characteristics and nocturnal habits, it is difficult for Animal Control staff to capture cats when they are roaming.  Therefore residents can borrow cages from the City in order to catch cats, which are causing damage to, or depositing waste on the resident’s property.  Once the cat has been caught, the resident must inform the Animal Control Officer, so the Officer can impound the cat.

Cat cages are normally provided between June 1st and October 31st.  To request a cat cage, you will need to discuss with the Animal Control officer who will investigate the situation.  The Officer will then have you complete the cat cage form.

Residents shall treat the cat in a humane manner once caught.  If it is determined by the Animal Control Officer that a resident has treated a captured animal inhumanely, the local SPCA will be notified and the resident shall not be issued any further cat cages.

Service Animals

(i) Service animals assist persons with disabilities  

People who use service animals require the animal to assist with symptoms or limitations arising from a disability.  Although service animals have traditionally helped people with physical disabilities such as Blindness, being Deaf, or mobility issues, there are a wide range of other disabilities for which service animals provide assistance.

The Human Rights Act, 2010 (“the Act”) protects individuals with disabilities from being discriminated against as a result for their disability from access to public goods and services, accommodation and facilities. The Act requires that their disability be accommodated by the provider of the goods, service, accommodation, or facilities up to the point of undue hardship.

Service animals assist people in their day-to-day activities. The Service Animal Act prohibits the provider of accommodation, goods and services and facilities in places that the public are customarily admitted from denying a person with a disability to access accommodation, goods and services, or facilities for the reason that they are accompanied by a service animal. The Service Animal Act also prohibits the charging of a fee for the use of a place for reason of the presence of the service animal.

More Information: