2020 Garbage and Recycling Schedules are available here.
2021 Garbage and Recycling Schedules are available here.
Spring cleanup has been re-scheduled to May 25-June 5. See here for more details.
For more Information: Information on Sort It Western: Western Regional Waste Management
The City of Corner Brook is committed to thorough and effective waste collection. The City provides curbside garbage (clear bags) and a mandatory recycling program (blue bags). Both garbage and recyclable are collected on scheduled routes.
Waste should be placed at the cub on your scheduled waste collection day by 8:00 a.m. There is a limit of 4 (four) bags for regular garbage. If you have more than the limit, garbage bag tags can be purchased at City Hall for $1.00 per tag for each additional bags after the 4 bag limit. There is no limit to the number of blue recycling bags. Please consult the waste collection scheduled to find out when waste collection takes place in your area.
For more information on what can be recycled or disposed of, please visit RethinkWasteNL.ca which is managed by MMSB along with various regional waste management authorities.
To find out when your garbage and recycling is collected, please check out the 2020 Garbage and Recycling Schedule.
Please refer to the Garbage and Refuse Regulations.
Residential Curbside Recycling Program
Beginning July 16th, 2018, all residential homes in the City of Corner Brook are required to separate garbage from recycling. Household garbage must be put in clear bags while recyclables can all be combined in blue transparent bags. You can find more information on the new waste collection system through our information document.
To help everyone learn the correct way to sort, bag, and curb their recycling, we’ll be placing stickers on bags of recyclables when we notice something has been done incorrectly. This way, you’ll know what to do next time.
If you find a bright pink sticker on one of your bags at the curb, it’s because certain rules for recycling pick-up were not followed. Maybe you didn’t put your recyclables in a clear, blue plastic bag or it contained items that are not accepted. Please refer to the checked box on the sticker
Click here for answers to frequently asked questions.
The City of Corner Brook collects curbside garbage weekly. Here’s a quick list of everything you need to know for garbage collection:
- Place your garbage at the curb by 8:00 a.m.
- Use plastic garbage bags or metal or plastic cans.
- Garbage must be in standard garbage bags measuring no more than 26 x 36 inches – smaller than “grocery store” bags and larger yard waste bags are not acceptable.
- All garbage is required to be covered by an appropriate garbage net or sheet to prevent birds from tearing it up.
- There is a 4 bag limit per week. Exceptions apply after holidays. Please see your garbage schedule for these dates. Tags can be purchased at City Hall for $1.00 per tag for each additional bags. There is no limit to the number of blue recycling bags.
- Clear an area adjacent to your driveway for placement of garbage during the winter and keep bags out of the path of snow plows.
- Flatten corrugated cardboard boxes and place in a bundle no larger than 12″ x 12″ x 30″.
- Hypodermic needles must be placed in a puncture proof container prior to placing in garbage – they must not be placed in your recycling.
- Broken glass must be clearly marked and packed to prevent glass from sticking out of the container. Place the marked broken glass container at the curb separate from garbage bags.
- Do not place small grocery or kitchen bags at the curb. They will not be picked up unless placed in garbage can or bags.
- Do not leave bulk items at the curb such as household appliances, furniture, car parts, etc.
- Do not leave hazardous waste at the curb such as paint and paint related products. Please drop off during the next Household Hazardous Waste Collection event.
- Do not leave construction and renovation materials at the curb, these materials will not be picked up during weekly municipal collection.
- Do not use white bags during winter; they are difficult to see in snowbanks.
- Containers of liquid will not be collected.
- Do not use chemicals (i.e. bleach) on garbage bags as an animal repellent.
Garbage Bag Tags can be purchased at City Hall or any of the below retailers for $1.00 per tag:
Corner Market 195 O’Connell Drive
Mr. Wilson’s – 68 Humber Road
Country Road Convenience – 121 Country Road
Marc’s Confectionary – 5 Elizabeth Street
Mr. Wilson’s – 52 Clarence Street
Myles’ Groceteria – 398 O’Connell Drive
Fox’s General Store – 325 Curling Street
They can also be requested from City Hall using the below form. It will be sent to the appropriate department and someone will get back to you: